Thursday, October 29, 2009

mama, mary poppins & midnight burgs

My mom came to visit me for a NYC staycation a few weeks ago and we had SO MUCH FUN! She arrived on a Friday evening and came to "pick me up" from work. (I've had a track record of being a slightly cranky hostess with visiting family members, but I PROMISED to be nice this time...) I was SO niiiice I even let her take a pic of me in my desk at work.

Our staycation would not be complete without staying in a Midtown hotel and having a semi-itinerary planned. Most important items on the agenda were where (and how frequently) we could eat. Our hotel was close to Madison Square Park and the famous Shake Shack where I had never been. Such a shame as a New Yorker that I can't always participate in the constant burger debates without sampling what Shake Shack has to offer. In passing I pointed out the always-long, curvy line of burger customers winding through the park (at all hours of the day). We came up with our plan of attack--we would either go right before they close or for breakfast when they open. We were determined to get a burger and beat the line.

Saturday was filled with pancakes and a bit of shopping. We went to see the lovely Broadway production of Mary Poppins and loved it! 3/4 of the way through the second half I started thinking about Shake Shack and it evolved into an obsession. I. HAD. TO. HAVE. IT... TONIGHT. So... I pantomimed eating an invisible burger to my mom and our mother-daughter brain waves synchronized and it was confirmed without using any words that we would be eating burgers post-show. My mouth watered thinking about fries and cheesey burger.. ketchup and crispy lettuce.

I didn't realize that we were carelessly giving Mary Poppins and the Banks family a standing ovation while the burger clock was ticking away! Shake Shack closes at 11pm and we were still in the theater still at 10:40! we have to get out of here!!!

We hurried out the door but were in Times Square. This is no place to get a cab. A pedi-cab rang his puny bicycle bell and offered a ride--doesn't he realize he can't pedal our fat asses fast enough to get us a much needed 11pm night cap burger?!

I decided we'd be better off speedwalking out of Times Square to find a cab. We walked to 5th Ave and I jumped in a cab.

"23rd STREET MADISON SQUARE PARK AS FAST AS YOU CAN!"


10:56pm and we got to the Southwest corner of the park and ran through the blinking crosswalk hand. "We're never going to make it!" I shout to my mom as we're running. I stopped running feeling defeated and sad that we weren't getting burgers. Mom keeps running full speed ahead with no signs of slowing down!

"Stop running. This is pointless!!!!!!!!!!!"

She didn't listen to me! She kept running full speed ahead so I started running again too. We got to the window and were panicky until the employee stuck his head out and said "If you ladies want to order you need to do it now. We're closing." IT WAS A BURGER MIRACLE!

"TWO CHEESEBURGERS!" I yelled without looking at any menu. "two orders of fries and diet cokes?" I ordered in a questioning voice seeking my mom's approval all at once in disbelief we made it.

Once the order was successfully placed we started laughing hysterically out of relief that we were going to be satisfying our craving for burgers at this hour in the night. And laughing at how serious and stressful this quest for burgers had become.

Here are the victory pictures

classic post-burger-binge shame



mom and sister are coming for a visit verrrrry soon! Burgers anyone??!?!?!

5 comments:

  1. Did you hit the Madison SQuare Market while at the Park? Good stuff from Hill Country, Cabritos Tacos, Fatty Crab, and Chez Suzette crepes. (Here a photo of the crepes http://www.madparknews.com/madison_square_park_restaurants_and_food/reports-from-madison-square-market-crepes-by-chez-suzette/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dare Devil Dippers...

    Miracle Making Munchers...

    Burger Binging Babes...

    Shake Shack Sprinters...

    Team Debell is my all time fave!
    I love Mama Debell so much, you guys seriously had a food escapade in NYC and I'm so impressed at your culinary diversity and class. BTW...I really feel sweaty bangs Jamie legitimizes the story. Clearly sprinting. Too bad Miss Poppins wasn't available with her umbrella to transport you to your tasty cheesy ketchup smoothered goodnes. oh no, hunger pains. I'll meet you at 5th. xoxo Debells, you're my NYC heros!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY!! I had this same EXACT experience with mom in Cali with Carl's Jr.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, Julie, how quickly you forget. It was In-N-Out, not Carl's. But, yes, I definitely had a deja vu moment. How can this miracle happen twice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooops!!!! I didn't mean to write Carl's Jr.!! hahah that night was a little fuzzy ;)

    ReplyDelete