Thursday, May 7, 2009

601,000 new friends

601,000 jobless claims for May week 2. I feel like I just somehow made 601,000 new friends. I wonder if they're out there doing the same things as me. I think unemployment brings out an entirely different side in myself--a side I'm pretty sure I don't like much. I've been doing weird things and acting out in tantrums and cry fests. I wonder if my 601,000 new friends are too. Here's a summary of what I've done with myself since Monday. If you're one of my new friends, let's compare.

Monday
  • Walked out of ex-employer and into the rain.
  • Cried a little bit on the phone with (my super awesome) boyfriend
  • Ran an errand for him
  • Went home and put on sweats and fixed up resume
  • Met formerly unemployed friend Chris for pep-talk, tea and a sandwich
  • Worked on resume some more
  • Met boyfriend after he finished work. Broke down crying the second he hugged me
  • Went to Whole Foods where I had a temper tantrum like a 3 year old ("Nothing looks good! Everything looks so gross. I don't want to eat anything!")
  • Picked up Thai food and was "tricked" into sharing it with clever boyfriend
  • Watched The Hills
Tuesday (my 25th birthday)
  • Friend Kilali came over
  • Ate chocolate macaroon, pear tart and strawberry cake with a bottle of champagne for breakfast
  • Watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire and learned my future daytime television lineup
  • Went out to eat 2nd breakfast of the world's best pancakes!!
  • Saw Wolverine but slept the entire time. (expensive nap for someone who is jobless)
  • Got a phone call for an interview. Scheduled interview for Wednesday
  • Received FedEx box filled with the remnants of my cubicle (yay Marc Jacobs pen!)
  • Went to dinner with boyfriend (who arrived with flowers)
  • Began horribly crazy sobfest
Wednesday
  • Interview at 10am. Not my best.
  • Called mom and had break down... again.
  • Played on the computer and cleaned apartment wearing only bra and tights
  • Called unemployment office (was on hold for 15 minutes due to high volume of callers--my new friends)
  • Called ex-employer HR
  • Booked ticket to go to Seattle for the weekend
  • Went to ex-employer to return company laptop
  • Ate entire box of Kraft macaroni and cheese
  • Watched Gossip Girl, America's Next Top Model and The Hills... again.
Thursday
  • Made huge bowl of oatmeal
  • Dropped off laundry
  • Received NY Department of Labor unemployment information packet. I wonder how many of those my mail lady has delivered..
  • Going to tackle messy room and gross bathroom

2 comments:

  1. Sounds reasonably productive! I'm actually really impressed! My unemployed days were filled with morning talk shows, aimless afternoon walks, and trying to cook difficult recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... oh yeah, and the bi-weekly night time cry fest.

    ReplyDelete