Tuesday, December 15, 2009

chestnuts

Roasting in a hot dog? stand..


I have equal feelings of intrigue and disgust seeing New York City's hot dog stands roast and serve CHESTNUTS during the holidays. The smoke is thick and REEKS! Whenever I have to pass a cart I make my best effort to dive out of the way before the wretched smell permeates my hair.

Maybe I don't fully grasp the whole chestnuts at Christmas time correlation (besides singing Jack Frooooost nipping at your nose). But today after work I was feeling inquisitive and got obsessed with ASKING a hot dog stand guy what the heck these nuts are doing sharing a basket with pretzels! They don't belong there.


I passed 4 or 5 stands until I gained the courage to ask about a nut display. The chestnuts were hanging in a tin foil bowl with a purple ribbon dangling at the bottom-so festive. I marched up and asked "What are these? And why do you have them?"

He responded simply, "they are chestnuts and we have them because people like them."

I asked stupidly, "well, do people actually buy them though? Because they stink!"

He said, "Yes, that's why we sell them."

"Well that makes sense. But isn't it weird that you sell them from a HOT DOG STAND next to PRETZELS and GATORADE?"

He either thought I was a major idiot, or didn't understand much of what I was saying. He laughed, shrugged and cracked open a nut for me to try.




I swear it tasted like a hot dog. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment