Thursday, December 3, 2009

reindeer games

Holiday parties are starting to be talked about at work. I got an email from another assistant about planning a surprise Christmas party. It went a little something like this:
So- for our December monthly meeting coming up, the last 30 minutes will be a mini holiday celebration - it will be a surprise. I'm going to need some help so anyone else that would like to volunteer, please pass this along! I'm in the process of ordering pastries, cupcakes, gingerbread men, coffee, and mimosas.

I'm going to need help passing out the treats and drinks. I've got some cute little Santa hats and reindeer noses for you all to wear! Plus mini candy canes to pass around. Please let me know if you can/want to help out and we can talk at some point next week to nail down the plan. Thanks!
 I of course volunteered to help, but said a big HELL to the NO to wearing a reindeer nose. One girl replied to all saying:
I'm def in to help. I refuse to wear a reindeer nose unless I have 5+ mimosas. :-)
This will be fun to work with all people my age. Today we had our first planning meeting. The girl planning it was talking about her boss and how crazy he has been about it. She said he has called her a few times at night just to tell her the ideas he's thought of.

One of his ideas is that he is making her sing! She has created a makeshift band with other employees to perform during the party. Her most annoying band member is the flutist. haha. The other planners and I teased her about how embarrassing and lame it is going to be. The meeting and "party" will begin at 9am! Who is going to get in the social and holiday spirit and want to party at 9:30am!??

During all the joking and laughing, I uncontrollably said "oh too bad I didn't know about this sooner, I would've sang with you."

biggest. mistake. ever.

Now she asked me to come to her band practices! This party is going to be a bad rendition of a Glee song. How am I going to sneak away from my desk for my secret reindeer Glee club practices?

Other things her boss wants us to do that are equally embarrassing are:
  • Sing-- obviously embarrassing
  • Throw fake snow into the crowd
  • Head of HR dress up as Santa Claus
  • Walk down the main staircase in Santa hats and reindeer noses serving platters of candy canes
  • Did I mention singing in front of 160+ work professionals with a reindeer nose on?!
I can just hear future conversations now:
"Who is the new girl in PR? I keep forgetting."
"Oh, that reindeer singer girl who threw fake snow."
"That's right. What a nerd."

case in point.



To Be Continued...

1 comment:

  1. Can't think of a better way to bond with your coworkers. Wish I could be there to see this. I hope they take LOTS of pictures!

    ReplyDelete