Thursday, June 11, 2009

b as in booger

You know when you are on the phone with someone trying to confirm the spelling of something because B sounds like D, T and P. To help someone decipher between these letters, we say things like "P as in Paul and D as in David."

When I worked in banking, for some reason I had trouble coming up with example words. With stock tickers, our trader wouldn't even say the letters, he'd simply shout into the phone "Larry Mother Apple Tom." But the types of words that pop into my head are "Lick Ass Monster Tits." Why do I turn into a perverted 12 year old boy? Are there words that I'm supposed to use for these situations that no one ever told me about? I have to stop and think about G-rated words to use.

I've always wondered what would happen if I actually did a pervy letter combo. "No, sir I said P as in pee pee, not B as in booger."

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not... there are actually STANDARD ones you are supposed to use! I found this out one day when my 68-yr-old ex-military boss overheard me making up my own (direct quote: "L as in Lion, like ROAR") and then corrected me and told me to please look up the appropriate phonetic suggestions! Here is a useful link! (I printed this page out!)

    http://www.osric.com/chris/phonetic.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI-larious! You should try the R-rated words just once and see what kind of reaction you get. Maybe not at work though...

    ReplyDelete