Wednesday, June 3, 2009

getting to know my new coworkers

I've never worried too much about meeting people and making friends. At any new job my tactic is to learn the job first, then venture out to make friends. If doing both at the same time is possible, even better. I've only been at my job for a week and am already making friends. I already have people bringing me candy. I have a bag of black licorice candies in my drawer and can't stop eating them! Today specifically was a great day for me to make friends with my new coworkers!

This afternoon the COO gave me a few labeling projects to do. He brought over 3 boxes of company logo pens and placed them on the ledge of my cube and left them for me to label. I made nice labels and stuck them to all sides of the boxes and then for some reason in an "I'm finished" kind of way I instinctively PUSHED the box a little too hard. The entire box fell off the ledge in a HUGE LOUD CRASH and pens spilled all over my cubiclemate's floor.

In an instant it felt like heads popped out of offices and every door frame like in cartoons when everyone's heads peek out at different levels. A couple of people came out to see what I had done and help. My face got so red as I frantically scooped up as many pens as I could and threw them into the box. Awkwardly I said things like "Pen Pinata!" and "Well this is a great way to meet everyone in the office!" and "That sure is a narrow ledge"

Then after regaining my composure after the pen incident I went to file a few things in my boss's office. The COO came by again. By the way, the COO is a grandpa-like guy. He is really serious but for some reason always winks at me--at least I think that's what his eyes do. He contorts his face in a way that resembles a wink sometimes but actually it looks a little painful. Anyway, he came in the office to chat with me while I was filing for a second. After he left I looked down at my shirt to brush off the little hole punch holes only to notice the MIDDLE BUTTON of my shirt was completely undone making my Victoria's Secret very public.

So now I am the new girl who dropped a million pens, exposed her bra and has a black licorice stained grey mouth. Great first impressions! I have a successful future ahead of me.

4 comments:

  1. Ew! Please tell me your teeth didn't look THAT bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SAY HELLO TO YOUR CUBE MATES...BABY SITTERS CLUB!

    I could use a "pen pinata friend," I mean who thinks of that on the fly? However clumsy you may end up being it makes for cheap entertainment when it keeps everyone SMILING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you were wearing a cute VS bra, instead of some ridiculously huge, white grandma nursing bra (i.e. the time I forgot to button my shirt after feeding my baby...and went into the gas station!!)

    I don't share that story to try to one-up yours (can't stand it when people do that)...just to show you there is a fellow female in the universe that says stuff like "pen pinata!" and whatnot. Very funny.


    RAe

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA ... Old Man COO got a peep show ... funny stuff

    ReplyDelete